Monday, March 17, 2008

Waiting on the Printer...Flower talk

Well, it's pushing one am, and I'm still waiting on my printer to finish printing 200 programs for tomorrow's National Honor Society Induction Ceremony. I think I'd be more excited about this great experience for the talented, service-minded young people at school if I didn't feel like it has eaten up every bit of my wife's and my life for the past few weeks. It was kinda surprise-sprung on us, and you know Steph--gotta get it right. Well, it'll be done right, but I'm pretty tired. I finished all of my grading to speak of this weekend, a feat of which I'm rather proud. I suppose I can go a few more days without sleeping; I've got Good Friday off and then the next week is our break.

The flowers are coming up in my lawn. I'm so glad. Last year they were so beautiful and surprising. Experiencing the first spring in our house allowed us to be surprised every time something new, which we had been unable to previously identify suddenly burst into bloom. Unfortunately, an untimely late frost last year not only knocked out our flowers, but even one of our trees. And then the awful hot weather finished off a few more. Add all that to the fact that I don't care for foliage well, and you get a pretty dead landscaping job. However, several plants are bursting into bloom again: our daffodils, these purply blue flowers, some long stemmed purple flowers... and of course the dandelions.

I love the dandelions. It's nice that they come back no matter how you try to eradicate them. I never try though. They're always sunny and smell like candy corn and childhood. Also, when I was younger I heard a legend that if you have someone you love far away, you can blow your love to them on the dandelion, and the little seed fliers will carry the message. Being a particular romantic, I've taken that to heart and always wish my love to all the people in my life who are too far away or who are gone forever. And so I never mow them down; I let them grow wherever they like.

The Rosemary bush is also symbolic. It represents love, sorrow, and loneliness. It's my favorite, even more than the dandelions. Steph always thinks I let it grow too big, but I can't bear to cut it back. It seems like the sort of bush that can really sympathize when you're having a bad day.

Hm. I'm looking forward to sitting outside over break. I hope the weather's nice. Ah, one side of the programs finished. Only another hour and a half to go. Goodnight everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Tim blog? SWEET.

Best of luck on NHS inductions. At our ceremony, I remember we had candles that dripped hot wax on our hands.

Nathan Shank said...

Hey, what shirt size do you want for Souvenirs? Does Stephanie want one too? What about the little Nance? You're going to love this one.