Saturday, March 22, 2008

Almost Easter

So, it's almost Easter. And I'm this close to having a son (holding up thumb and forefinger really close together). Now that we're finally on break, I can breathe and sit back and wait. Well, actually, by sit back, I mean run around like crazy, but at least somewhat less crazily than last week. Last week almost killed me.

Steph will be off from school probably for the rest of the school year. I'm off for a week, and then I'll be off and on after the baby comes until I use up most of my sick days. I can't wait for this summer. Three months of delightfulness! I can't wait to walk Henry around in the stroller. My sister got us this awesome stroller that has speakers on it and a way to plug up an mp3 player. How cool is that? I've been mentally sorting my music collection to see which songs would be appropriate to play. I've made a lullaby collection of sorts, and I bought the They Might Be Giants new children's CD, Here come the 123's. I also found these awesome lullaby cds of great rock band hits turned into lullabies. I got the Eagles, so Henry and I can jam to a really soft version of "Hotel California." I'd like to get the Beatles, U2, and a few others.

Aside from the fun tunes in the stroller, I've also been planning which books we're going to read together. I've received (and bought) a decent starter collection of Dr. Seuss, as well as a handful of other books, including Goodnight Gorilla, a cool book about a Gorilla who sneaks home from the zoo to the zookeeper's house to snuggle in his bed. But of course, first we have to read Shakespeare's Henry V together. I plan on reading him the complete works of Shakespeare by the time he turns two. I haven't entirely decided which the second one will be. Any suggestions?

Alright, well, it was fun chatting, but I've got to get back to work. Have a great day!

3 comments:

Nathan Shank said...

Haha, yay for They Might Be Giants. . .and that stroller sounds like you're going to be the coolest dad on the block . . . or ambling around the block.

Hmm, well after Henry V, you should do a comedy like Midsummer or Much Ado. Save the tragedies till he's at least a few weeks old ;)

Glad you're doing great. We had a fun bookstore trip last week. I'm getting ready to make my final grad school decision. . .probably University of Oklahoma. :)

Joanna Benskin said...

You may indeed get in on the Scribblers / Scribblers' (but not Scribbler's) goodness. You can comment on the posts now, and if you give me your gmail address I can invite you so that you can also post.

There aren't any particular rules -- just post your writing, and post comments on other people's. And use the "email follow-up comments to me" dealy so we keep all the discussion together under the same post instead of posting across to each other's blogs.

I really hope you get a chance to enjoy the Scribblers blog. :) We started it because so many spiffy writing people we know are scattered around, or soon will be.

Your stroller and your reading plans for the wee Heir of the House of Nance sound excellent.

Souvenirs is going very happily. For awhile I was worried for its continuation after Nathan's class leaves, but now we have several enthusiastic people from my year involved, so it'll stay in business awhile yet. :) Dr. Boone (he's new in the English department and into 20th c American poetry) is getting involved, and so is Dr. Cameron from the psychology department. Our features have been sparse this year, but we've had a couple of really good ones. Martina (who transferred here recently) did an amazing musical puppet show rendition of "Afton Water." It made us all very happy. And last week I recited "East Coker," so that was fun. You should come visit someday and we'll do a Hopkins duel.

Anonymous said...

They Might Be Giants!!! Yes! They're terrific!!! Sounds like Henry will have some sweet taste in music.

Speaking of which, it isn't particularly child-friendly, but have you ever heard Rilo Kiley? I think it fits (broadly) in the same category as Neko Case... Good stuff.

I'll have to see if my mom has any book suggestions...