Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Overworked but rather blessed

I have too much to do. I wish I could spend some time just sitting in my library reading a book (or writing one). I wish I could ignore the countless hours of stuff I need to do that isn't going to get done anyway. I wonder what it would be like to have a job that didn't come home with me (several hours after I should have gone home), eat dinner with me, spend the evening with me, go to bed with me and then get up four to six hours later with me to go back to my "official" place of work. I have meetings this week in the evenings. Grades are also due for progress reports. I've had to miss poetry night two weeks in a row. And I have piles of grading which I cannot even imagine finishing. Why is this so normal? I've quoted Tennyson's "The Lotus Eaters" so often it's beginning to feel tiresome: "Why are we weighed upon with heaviness/and utterly consumed with sharp distress/while all things else have rest from weariness?" I still don't know.

But the parents of my kids have been awesome and ever so encouraging. I'm glad of that; I don't think I could handle discouragement right now. And I've got great friends who are praying for me. And best of all, I'm going to have a little baby boy in mere weeks, which will not only be a joy added to all of this chaos, but it also means that Steph will be off the rest of the year, and I won't have to worry about her overworking herself anymore. He'll also give me an excuse to blow off the million things I have to do and just play. I already know which Shakespeare play we're going to read together first. (Henry the Fifth, of course!)

Well, until then, I'll keep working. Take care everyone!

No comments: